If you or any of the people in your communities are affected by the bushfires, there are disaster recovery payments available, which you can access by calling 1802266. You can find out more information by going to https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/help-emergency/bushfires

Centrelink payments available for people affected by the bushfires

  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment – a one-off lump sum payments for people affected by the bushfires from August 2019 through to January 2020.
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance – income support payment for up to 13 weeks for people who have lost income because of they were affected by the bushfires

For details about eligibility and payment rates, please go to: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/help-emergency/bushfires and click on your relevant state.

If you are having trouble accessing disaster payments (ie. your claim has been denied) please contact Economic Justice Australia Network and find state and territory contacts for help.

Another option is to access free legal services established through Legal Aid NSW (Disaster Response Legal Service NSW 1800 801 529) and Victoria Legal Aid (Disaster Legal Help Victoria on 1800 113 432).

Read more at Australian Council of Social Service here